Tuesday, March 27, 2012

MANICURE MONDAY- Zebra Print French Manicure Tutorial

I admit that I have fallen for the animal print trend (I even bought a pink leopard print bathing suit :] hehe). One day when I was at Walgreens in the beauty section I saw these great zebra print fake french manicure nails. I used to have the picture, but it was on my black berry :[ Anywaysss whether it was out of just cheapness or craftyness (I prefer to think it's the latter), I decided that I could just re-create the nail art myself at home :) This is the second time I've done it (honestly I think the first time turned out a little better, but this time I took pictures ;)

ZEBRA PRINT FRENCH MANI

So here we go:
The first step is (obviously) to clean off ay existing nail polish on your nails, trim and/or file them. My nails are naturally pretty long, so even when I cut them you can barely tell.

These are the MATERIALS for the next steps. Any type of sparkly top coat nail polish. I used a really old New York Color gold-ish nail polish it. I like it because of the multi-colored sparkles :) Next you need a black nail polish. I used Wet n Wild Fast Dry in Ebony Hates Chirs (I'm obsessed with the name!!). You're also going to need a white nail polish and tooth picks, or some other sort of small pointy object [when I did it on my friend's nails we used a safety pin] :) Also it's optional, but I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear clear top coat, which protects the design and adds shine.
The second step is to paint the white french tip on your nail.
I just used the brush of the white nail polish to make the line of white on my nails. As you can tell the lines are not perfect (i dont have steady hands at all!) but I would suggest to paint fast rather than slow. I've also heard of using rubber bands or those ring/hole reinforcers that you use on three hole punched paper to get a straight and smooth edge, but the ringie-dingies would not stay on my nail!

The third step is to use the tooth pick and the black nail polish to paint on the "zebra stripes"
Basically to make the zebra stripes you dip the tooth pick (or sharp object) into the nail polish and create vertical "squiggly-ish" lines or triangle-like shapes. Be creative and dont worry about a shaky hand because the point is not to make straight lines.I found it helpful to look at examples of zebra print nails and just try and mimick the lines I saw.

The fourth step is the fun part, but completely optional. You may be satisfied with your zebra print looking nails the way they are, but if you want to add a little "pizazz" to the nails you can use the sparkly top coat to paint over the french tip part.

^Sorry the sparkles are a little hard to see^

The fifth step is of course optional and that is just to paint the whole nail with a clear top coat which adds shine :)
And now to model them off :)




1 comment: